A Few Tips on Public Speaking.
- Practice. Many people fail at speaking in public because they don't practice before. Make sure that you know when you are going to use gestures.
- KNOW what you are talking about. Study the material and write it yourself, use your words.
- Introduce yourself and classmates.
- State your topic, and the main parts of your presentations. If necessary, state the purpose of your talk; persuade, inform, etc.
- Make eye contact. It helps connect with your audience. Look at the audience, NOT at the presentation or the teacher. PowerPoint is a tool, NOT the center of your presentation.
- Control mannerisms. Your body language is very important. Don't put your hands in your pockets, or cross your arms... watch this video.
- Enunciate. Speak clearly. NEVER worry about your accent; embrace it.
- DON'T read your presentation. That is sure way to lose the interest of your audience.
- Enjoy it. If you enjoy your presentation, your audience will too.