Tuesday, July 21, 2009

HEAD COLD

A few years ago, a friend gave me a set of title-less photocopies containing a short story which I found fresh and most captivating and enchanting. I did not know the name of the story, nor the name of the author. I read it many times. It was like listening to a song by one my favorite punk bands. Another element that held me to the story was that I identified with the central character. His dissertations, his relationship with his wife, his profession. As I am subscribed to The New Yorker Fiction Podcast (free of charge), I get a story once a month. A year ago I received a story labelled HEAD COLD. As I heard the story, I recognized those phrases I had read many times. I scrambled to get the copies, but couldn't find them. This is that short story. When you click on the title you will go to The New Yorker site, where you will be able to either listen to the podcast or to download it to your PC or mp3 player. Please listen to it, and find the time to leave a comment here, at the bottom. Leave your name so we know who you are and what YOU think.

1 comment:

  1. Since you like very musical prose, I highly recommend you read "Sophie's Choice" by William Styron. It's a beautiful book that you can open on any page, read aloud any paragraph, and enjoy wonderfully musical, rhythmic prose.

    ReplyDelete