Monday, February 24, 2014

Who has time to read?

I most certainly hope you do.
In college I read voraciously. I frowned upon books on tape, but I didn't really mind having tape on my books, battle scars. I did, however, listen to tons of music on tapes as I read (my faithful Sony Walkman). I wrote notes on the margin. I read on the bus. I read while I ate. I read on park benches. I read on my way to class. I read in classes which I did not find particularly interesting. I read in bed. Hell! I bought a book by Gabriel Zaid "Cómo leer en bicicleta" hoping it would enlighten me or awaken my senses, in order to safely carry out such a hazardous task. In all honesty I should point out that I haven't had a bike since I was 18, and that reading and riding (pun intended) was not the point of book anyway.


I am not a fan of listening to books. We must read, it is the aerobic workout of the brain. Nowadays, reading seems to be more of a challenge (as a result of time constrains for many, but mostly due to plain laziness). There are mp3 files which allow you to get some material in. I want to direct your attention to The New Yorker for downloads. These are short stories that have been published in this fine magazine. This is a way to get to know stories that, otherwise, we might not come in contact with. Having said that, you will go to the archive. Just click on the title "A Head Cold" to LISTEN to the the podcast on your computer. By the end of tonight you will email me (ralfortiz@gmail.com) an essay; a word document (300 to 350 words). If you do not know what an essay is go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essay . I do NOT want a critic's opinion or something from the internet. I want YOU to write it. The attachment must be saved with the TITLE_your last name. I will only accept the eamils that comply with the criteria and which are sent by 9:00 PM.
  Download it later if you want to listen to listen to it again, and I sincerely hope all of us can find the time to read.

14 comments:

  1. I like this article because is true, today we have not a moment for anything, all time is busy (homework, events, research or anything)but fortunately for me, my parents read all time and my sister is a person that read all days and for that, i read a good books and i like read in the bus and before of sleep, is very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well im agre we should read more, but real all the time even wn you are eating is exesive i think! i have to make raeding an habit because it provides you culture, but honestly i´m not going to try to rad while im riding a bike i think thats so dangerous and y the way i dont know hou to rid a bike. talking seriously im going to ty harder to become a reader, i hope so!!
    sincerely diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi ralf! i'm ray and i really like your point of view about reading because for me it's one of favourite my hobbies... i especially like to read sci fi boooks and specially the love stories... i think they can make u feeel better when u don't feel happy at all... they give u a hope to believe in a lot of diferent things.. and also it makes that u can feel that u are part of the histories.. it's a good excersice for your brain and soul..

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey ralf!!! well i actually i love to read in english but when i read in english it takes me a long time to finish the book because i read very slowly in english. anyway i like the article you do and i´m going to try to read more.
    atte: marlyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy Villafuerte Díaz de LeónJanuary 27, 2010 at 6:50 AM

    I´m agree that nowadays read is a challenge.... I don't like read books.. sometimes I read vogue... but I don't consider "read" because is not a book.
    But my opion is "people who read, have good grammar"

    ReplyDelete
  6. young people today see it as something very boring pick up a book and read it without knowing much damage we're doing, you have to read more we have to be more educated, helps us to expedite the mind, and helps us to eliminate the lazy mental activity, very interesting article teacher ralf .

    i agree .....
    thanks for the information


    atte : doris ......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ralf! I think the activity to read its interesting because you can obtain more imagination and learn a lot of things
    sincerely: Hirazumi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I think that this article is very important!! I agree with your opinion but I´m not sure going to try to rad while I´m riding a bike haha I read... sometimes
    I like read in my bed just before sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello!!!!
    the article is very interesting because nobody reads now and I think that really is an exercise for the brain.
    by ana luisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi ralf i think that this text is very interesting because it induce us to read more and learn more about the important things and it can help us to be a better person
    cristina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ralf !!!!

    I think this article is very interesting, the reading is important because through this exercise the brain and makes us more cultured.

    Enrique Benavente

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you, some of the people think that read is bored, or maybe because they haven't find a good book, but we should read by less 1 hour, it is important to read it helps you to open your mind and grammar too.read is culture.

    ilu ralf !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ralf, I think that read is very important for learn and discover new things, the way of practice the reading is different, it depends of each person. I want to read more for be be.tter person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ivy Thalia Martinez MaciasFebruary 28, 2014 at 2:49 PM

    Read... Read is something very nice and beautiful, a book can take you to multiple places, just open it and get into it. I´ve always been a fond of poetry. .. is very romantic. When I was age 12-15 during puberty I liked read, I really liked novels, then lost the habit, but in the last two years , I´ve put the purpose of read more , because read is like dreaming someone else dream :)

    ReplyDelete